CONGRATULATIONS TO PROFESSOR RICHIE HOWITT
28th January 2023
On behalf of the IAG, I extend the warmest congratulations to Emeritus Professor Richie Howitt AM for his Australia Day award as Member (AM) in the General Division of the Order of Australia. Richie received this national honour for significant service to education and to the Indigenous community.
Further details of his citation are copied below:
Macquarie University - Teaching
• Emeritus Professor, since 2018.
• Head, Department of Environment and Geography, 2009.
• Professor, Human Geography, Department of Geography and Planning, 2005-2018.
• Director, Macquarie-Ryde Futures Project, 2012-2017.
• Acting Dean, Division of Earth and Life Sciences, 2008.
• Academic, 1992-2018.
• Formal Mentor, over 15 academic staff.
• Supervisor, over 60 higher degree research students
Macquarie University - Other
• Elected Academic Member, Macquarie University Council, 2014-2017.
• Chair, Faculty of Science Sub-Committee, Human Research Ethics Committee,
• Member, Faculty of Science Research Committee, 2012.
• Member, Academic Senate, 2006-2010.
• Chair, Aboriginal Studies Committee of Academic Senate, 1993-1995.
The Institute of Australian Geographers
• Editorial Board Member, Geographical Research, since 2014.
• Member and Founding Coordinator, Indigenous Issues Study Group, since 1997.
• Honorary Treasurer and Councillor, 1999-2002.
Richie's research with and for Indigenous peoples is widely known, his work extending back for decades and pushing the boundaries of geography to embrace Indigenous Australian ways of being, equity, and decolonise geographical thinking. He is also an inspiring teacher, both formally with students; and informally, encouraging many conference attendees over the years to think more critically. His long-standing commitment to the IAG is highly valued, and for which I extend our great thanks.
Institute of Australian Geographers.