Institute of Australian Geographers
The Institute of Australian Geographers Incorporated is a professional body representing geographers and promoting the study and application of geography in Australia. Members are geography academics, teachers, and practising geographers from both the public and private spheres, and other interested members of the public.
The aims of the IAG are to:
- promote the study and practice of geography in Australia;
- advance the study of Australian geography internationally;
- hold and sponsor meetings and conferences to present, discuss and disseminate geographical studies and research;
- publish the results of geographical research in a journal;
- represent the interests of professional geographers in Australia; and
- co-operate with other organisations having kindred purposes.
What we do
- publishes Geographical Research, a journal of international standing issued through Wiley;
- holds an annual conference, usually in July, that rotates around Australia and New Zealand. Every few years the conference is held in association with the New Zealand Geographical Society;
- supports Study Groups in specialist areas of geography;
- recognises outstanding individual contributions to geography and the IAG through a variety of awards;
- supports and encourage postgraduate students, the next generation of geographers;
- makes submissions on behalf of geography and geographers on matters such as human research ethics, geography in secondary schools, the statistical classification of geographical research, and the assessment of research impact;
- promotes the position of geography in Australian universities;
- contributes to the Geography's Decadal Plan*;
- produces a Newsletter three times a year;
- maintains this website; and communicates via IAG-List and Social media platforms (IAG Facebook Site; LinkedIn Profile; and IAG Twitter, GR Twitter feeds). All important means of promoting and communicating Australian geography.
*National Committee for Geographical Sciences (2018). Geography: Shaping Australia’s Future (Australian Academy of Science) Prepared by the National Committee for Geographical Sciences on behalf of the Australian Academy of Science. Also, available online, with full bibliography, at: www.science.org.au/geography-australias-future
We are a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission and provide funding and support for academic geographers in Australia and internationally.