Griffith Taylor Medal
The Griffith Taylor Medal is awarded for distinguished contributions to geography in Australia. No more than one medal is to be awarded in each two year period.
Nominations for this award will next be called in 2019.
- Nominations will be invited in each second year.
- A full statement (no more than 1000 words) must be made describing the nominee’s suitability for the award. This statement is to be accompanied by the signatures of two proposing financial members and seconded by a further two financial members.
- Awards will be made by a majority of Council after receiving advice from the President.
- Nominations for awards are strictly confidential and must not be made known to the nominee.
- No member shall be informed of their nomination until formally invited by the Institute’s President to accept the award.
- Please note that the The Griffith Taylor Medal is only awarded every second year.
Recipients of the Griffith Taylor Medal (with link to citation where available)
- Mrs Ann Marshall 1989 (citation)
- Dr Les Heathcote 1997 (citation)
- Dr Joe Gentilli 1998 (citation)
- Professor Fay Gale 2001 (citation)
- Professor Bruce Thom 2004 (citation)
- Emeritus Professor John Holmes 2006 (citation)
- Professor Joe Powell 2008 (citation)
- Professor Michael Webber 2011 (citation)
- Emeritus Professor Jim Walmsley 2013 (citation)
- Professor Arthur Conacher 2015 (citation)
- Emeritus Professor John (Jack) Lloyd Davies 2017 (citation)
- Associate Professor Alaric Maude (AM) 2019 (citation)