Grants, Medals & Awards
The Institute of Australian Geographers recognise achievements by Geographers with Grants, Medals, and Awards.
All awards require the nomination of a suitable candidate who meet the criteria of the award. Several awards can be self-nominated. Details are provided for each award or medal.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR AWARDS AND MEDALS OF THE IAG 2023:
Members are invited to nominate their esteemed colleagues for the following awards:
- The GT Medal is awarded for distinguished contributions to geographical thought in Australia.
- The Australia-International Medal is awarded for outstanding contributions by Australian geographers to geography world-wide, or by geographers outside Australia to the geography of Australia.
- The IAG Award For Teaching Leadership and Scholarship (The IAG ‘ATLAS’) recognises excellence in leadership and/or scholarship in teaching, including communication and/or promotion of engagement in geography.
- The IAG President's Leadership Award For Contribution by an Early Career Scholar (‘PLACE’ AWARD) recognises excellence in contributions to geography made by Early career members of the Institute.
- The William Jonas Award recognises excellence in significant contributions made to Indigenous geographies and/or to geography by Indigenous geographers.
- The IAG Award for Dissertation Excellence recognises excellence in a research dissertation, at Honours, Masters or PhD level, and the contribution that the student has made to the discipline of Geography.
- A Distinguished Fellowship of the Institute of Australian Geographers (DFIAG) is awarded for distinguished service to Australian geography through furthering the aims of the Institute.
- A Fellowship of the Institute of Australian Geographers (FIAG) recognises sustained and significant contributions made to geography.
The closing date for all nominations is Friday 28 April 2023.
Nominations should be sent to the Honorary Secretary, Madeleine Page at Madeleine.Page@jacobs.com