Fellowship of the Institute of Australian Geographers (FIAG)
FIAG recognises sustained and significant contributions made to the discipline by IAG members in diverse fields. It acknowledges contributions to the discipline made by practitioner and professional geographers, as well as academic members of the Institute.
Nominations are invited in February and July each year.
The Fellowship is awarded for significant and sustained service to the geography profession in Australia, which encompasses a wide range of sectors including industry, government, consultancy, education, non-government and community organizations, as well as the academy.
Applications should comprise:
- a statement of no more than 1,000 words detailing their contributions, and
- an attached curriculum vitae of no more than 5 pages.
In these documents, applicants must provide evidence to Council of their contributions to the geography profession with respect to at least one of the following:
- meritorious professional service as a Geographer. Sustained contribution that significantly advances geographical policy development or public understanding;
- significant advances in Geography. Sustained contribution to research and/or teaching activities that have significantly advanced geographical knowledge and/or policy development; or
- significant development of Geography. Sustained contribution that significantly advances the discipline and/or the professional development of geographers.
Applicants for the award of Fellowship of the Institute of Australian Geographers must have at least five years membership of the Institute and must be a current member.
Click to see past FIAG recipients.