Awards: Distinguished Fellowship
Distinguished Fellowship of the Institute of Australian Geographers
The Distinguished Fellowship is awarded for distinguished service to Australian geography through furthering the aims of the Institute.
Nominations for this award will next be called in 2020.
- A full statement (no more than 1000 words) must be made describing the nominee’s suitability for the award. This statement is to be accompanied by the signatures of two proposing financial members and seconded by a further two financial members. Awards will be made by a majority of Council after receiving advice from the President.
- Nominations for awards are strictly confidential and must not be made known to the nominee.
- No member shall be informed of their nomination until formally invited by the Institute’s President to accept the award.
- Until 2007 this award was called a Fellowship of the Institute of Australian Geographers, only one of which could be awarded each year.
Recipients of the former Fellowship of the Institute of Australian Geographers
- Professor Murray McCaskill 1989 (citation)
- Professor Bruce Thom 1992 (citation)
- Professor John Holmes 1997 (citation)
- Associate Professor Arthur Conacher 1998 (citation)
- Mr Laurie Olive 1999
- Dr Morgan Sant 2001
- Associate Professor Richard Howitt 2004
Recipients of the Distinguished Fellowship of the Institute of Australian Geographers
- Dr Peter Smailes 2008 (citation)
- Emeritus Professor Bob Fagan 2009 (citation)
- Professor Ruth Fincher 2009 (citation)
- Professor Jamie Kirkpatrick 2009 (citation)
- Associate Professor Alaric Maude 2009 (citation)
- Emeritus Professor Roger McLean 2009 (citation)
- Mr Alex Lyne 2010
- Emeritus Professor Roy Jones 2013 (citation)
- Professor Lesley Head 2016 (citation)
- Professor Steve Turton 2016 (citation)