The Australia-International Medal is awarded in recognition either of outstanding contributions by Australian (or Australia-based) geographers to the advancement of Geography world-wide or of outstanding contributions to the understanding of the geography of Australia by geographers permanently residing outside Australia. No more than one medal is to be awarded each year.
Nominations for this award will next be called in 2020.
- A full statement (no more than 1000 words) must be made describing the nominee’s suitability for the award. This statement is to be accompanied by the signatures of two proposing financial members and seconded by a further two financial members.
- Awards will be made by a majority of Council after receiving advice from the President.
- Nominations for awards are strictly confidential and must not be made known to the nominee.
- No member shall be informed of their nomination until formally invited by the Institute’s President to accept the award.
Recipients of the Australia-International Medal (with link to citation where available)
- Professor Janice Monk 1999
- Professor Reginald Golledge 2000
- Professor Tom McKnight 2001
- Emeritus Professor Harold Brookfield 2005 (citation)
- Emeritus Professor Ian Douglas 2006 (citation)
- Professor John Connell 2009 (citation)
- Professor Katherine Gibson, and Professor Julie Graham 2010 (citation)
- Associate Professor Louise Johnson 2011 (citation)
- Professor Graeme Hugo 2014 (citation)
- Professor Gordon L. Clark 2015
- Emeritus Professor R. Gerard Ward 2016 (citation)
- Professor Richard Howitt 2017 (citation)
- Professor Mark Wang 2018 (citation)
- Emeritus Professor Roger McLean 2019 (citation)