The Australia-International Medal is awarded in recognition either of outstanding contributions by Australian or Australia-based geographers to the advancement of geography worldwide, or of outstanding contributions to the understanding of the geography of Australia by geographers permanently residing outside Australia.
- Nominations are invited every year.
- A full statement no more than 1,000 words must be made describing the nominee’s suitability for the award. This statement is to be accompanied by the signatures of two proposing financial members and seconded by a further two financial members.
- A majority vote of Council will determine awards, following advice from the President.
- Nominations for awards are strictly confidential and must not be made known to any nominee.
- No member shall be informed of their nomination until formally invited by the Institute’s President to accept the award.
Click to see past Australia International Medal recipients.