Postgraduate or student memberships to the IAG are welcomed. There are many benefits of postgraduate or student membership to the IAG. Being a member of the IAG is also about being part of an active, supportive and nurturing postgraduate and academic community and contributing to the discipline across local and national scales. To further this aim the IAG provides travel grants to assist eligible Research Higher Degree students to attend the IAG annual Conference.
- The IAG Constitution specifies that at least one of the Councillors must be a postgraduate student, elected by all the members of the IAG.
- The current Postgraduate representative is: Charlotte Jones (Tasmania) firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have any questions or suggestions about Postgraduate activities please contact: Charlotte Jones (Tasmania) email@example.com
The 2023 IAG Postgrad Day is an excellent opportunity for networking with your fellow postgraduate Geographers, building connections, sharing experiences, while also further developing skills relevant to research. For more details: IAG2023 Postgrad Day – Tuesday 4th July 2023
IAG Postgraduate Travel Grant
The IAG provides travel grants to assist eligible Research Higher Degree students to attend the annual IAG conference.
Eligibility criteria and award conditions
To be eligible for an IAG Postgraduate Travel Grant you must be:
- a current financial member of the IAG
- (Note: applications from student members outside Australia will be considered);
- enrolled in either a Masters degree (Research) or a Doctoral degree on the date you apply for funding;
- presenting a paper at the conference; and
- registered to attend the conference for its full duration.
- prepared to submit a 500 word ‘reflection’ report for the IAG Council
Travel grants are awarded at the discretion of the IAG Council. The amount of each individual grant will vary depending on the number and location of applicants as a tiered system of funding is employed. It takes into consideration the distance an applicant must travel to and from the conference. Individual grants have rarely exceeded several hundred dollars per applicant. Students are encouraged to pursue other sources of funding support if required.
To apply complete the IAG Postgraduate Travel Grant Application
Note: You need to be a current financial member and login to the IAG website with your member details to view the IAG Postgraduate Travel Grant Application Form for the 2023 applications. The closing date is Friday 5th May 2023.
A condition of the grant is that recipients write a 500 word report for the IAG Council, post conference. The report should outline the grant recipient's participation in the conference, and reflections on the conference. Reports should be submitted to the Vice-President (Outgoing President) within 30 days of the conclusion of the conference. The report may be reproduced in the IAG Newsletter.
Students who have been successful in applying for an IAG postgraduate travel grant, and who have paid for their conference registration, but find they do not have sufficient funds (and will therefore no longer be attending the conference), can apply for a refund of the conference registration fee. Please contact conference organisers to seek the registration refund, and contact the IAG Treasurer for details as to how to return the postgraduate travel grant to the IAG.