Grants, Medals & Awards
The Institute of Australian Geographers recognise achievements by Geographers with Grants, Medals, and Awards.
All awards require the nomination of a suitable candidate who meet the criteria of the award. Several awards can be self-nominated. Details are provided for each award or medal.
- The GT Medal is awarded for distinguished contributions to geographical thought in Australia.
- The Australia-International Medal is awarded for outstanding contributions by Australian geographers to geography world-wide, or by geographers outside Australia to the geography of Australia.
- The IAG Award For Teaching Leadership and Scholarship (The IAG ‘ATLAS’) recognises excellence in leadership and/or scholarship in teaching, including communication and/or promotion of engagement in geography.
- The IAG President's Leadership Award For Contribution by an Early Career Scholar (‘PLACE’ AWARD) recognises excellence in contributions to geography made by Early career members of the Institute.
- The William Jonas Award recognises excellence in significant contributions made to Indigenous geographies and/or to geography by Indigenous geographers.
- The IAG Award for Dissertation Excellence recognises excellence in a research dissertation, at Honours, Masters or PhD level, and the contribution that the student has made to the discipline of Geography.
- A Distinguished Fellowship of the Institute of Australian Geographers (DFIAG) is awarded for distinguished service to Australian geography through furthering the aims of the Institute.
- A Fellowship of the Institute of Australian Geographers (FIAG) recognises sustained and significant contributions made to geography.