The Institute of Australian Geographers is a professional body representing geographers and promoting the study and application of geography in Australia. Members are geography academics, teachers, and practising geographers from both the public and private spheres, and other interested members of the public.
The aims of the IAG are to:
- promote the study and practice of geography in Australia;
- advance the study of Australian geography internationally;
- hold and sponsor meetings and conferences to present, discuss and disseminate geographical studies and research;
- publish the results of geographical research in a journal;
- represent the interests of professional geographers in Australia; and
- co-operate with other organisations having kindred purposes.